Pages

Saturday, June 6, 2009

Timberrrrrrrr!

These trees are about 35 or more years old. We've lived
here for 20 years, so they've more than doubled in size.
The shade has kept the
house cool in the summer, but lets face it,
summer just doesn't get that hot any more!
The roots have taken over the back yard and the
branches have spread so wide there's not enough
sun to grow a decent garden, so I finally agreed to
TAKE 'EM DOWN!
Eager Beaver is the local outfit to do this sort of thing, so
we gave them a call. It took a crew of 4 men around 5 hours
to get the job done. First, off come all the branches.
Now you're left with the treetop. The video below shows the top
coming off. Then they took about 5-6 feet of the trunk down
at a time. The pieces came down with a hard THUNK which
shook the house and made some real big dents in the lawn!
Now we're left with lots of firewood. We're trying to sell it, but
I think our timing is off. This week has been a heatwave, so
people are thinking more about fans than fires!

1 comment:

Katie said...

Wow mom, I'm still a little sad that the trees I climbed so often are no more. I have lots of memories with those trees. I am excited to see what you are going to do with the back yard though. Maybe you could have Eric dig up that pool...