We love the Oympics! Thursday we zipped across the border and spent the whole day meandering around the Olympic zones in Vancouver. It was a gorgeous day, the temperature was in the upper 50's with blue skies. We parked right downtown. On our way to Robson Square we stopped by the fountain outside the Vancouver Art Gallery. Great place to take pictures. At Robson Square they had an ice rink and a zip line. We watched an entertainer juggling on a unicycle, he was pretty funny. Keith worked on finding tickets to an event while the boys and I traveled on down the way. We explored all 7 floors of the Sears Department store by escalator looking for the Olympic merchandise which was of course on the ground level. The boys both found T shirts that we picked up later that night. Back outside, the street had been blocked off to traffic, and another street performer was setting up to do his unicycle/juggling/comedy act. Our favorite part was a slow motion "run" and fall to the music of Chariots of Fire. Really funny.
Beard Papa's is a cream puff shop we came upon. We ordered eclairs and they were actually even better than they looked. We liked them so well that we went back later in the evening just to get another round. Unfortunately, they had just run out of the chocolate. But the regular cream puffs were yummy too.
We decided to make our way to the Thunderbird Arena on UBC campus. We jumped on a bus and rode for 30 minutes or so. There were lots of ticket sellers touting their wares as we walked to the arena to see the USA Women's Hockey Team play Finland. We picked up some tickets at a decent price. Great seats too. The game was fun to watch, our team was SO GOOD! We won 6-0.
After the long ride back into town we made a stop on the waterfront to see the Olympic Torch, and then back to Robson Square. There were so many people out milling about, watching the events projected onto big screens and celebrating Canda's Women's Hockey team win that night. Lots of Canadians were showing their pride by wearing red. It was everywhere you looked, mostly hockey jerseys. It was a fun atmosphere!
We all enjoyed it and would like to go back to Vancouver soon to check out more cool stuff. And next time, we'll take a good map to find our way home.
That should shorten the trip by an hour or more!
Saturday, February 20, 2010
GO TEAM USA!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
Wow mom, that was an awesome video. Except for a few times when it soomed in on the part of the picture where nobody was, it looked like a pro job.
Also, ahh! I totally wish I was there. There isn't a single thing I accomplished on Thursday that was worth missing out. On the ohter hand, I don't mind missing out on the hour long detour!
I also was happy to see that you used your London bag. It sure adds something special to all the picturs.
Wow, I'm glad you saw and liked the video. I like it too, but it lost so much quality by publishing it to the web, I switched it out for a slide show. Yeah, you would have liked it, and it would have been more fun with you there. When we were trying to read maps and get from place to place and catch busses and stuff I just kept thinking about how well you found your way around in London. You are definitely an assett on an adventure like this. Maybe next time!
Something Richard and I totally wanted to do! But, Utah was good too.
Our YW group is going to Vancouver for the temple open house--i'm excited for that. It'll be my first time in Canada!
Post a Comment