Pages

Tuesday, November 4, 2008

Speaking of the Pilgrims...

I had some interesting thoughts about the Pilgrims last Sunday. At church we were reminded about the great sacrifices of the Pilgrims as they sailed to this land in search of religious freedom. They had not been allowed to worship as they desired, so they were driven from their native land into the wild and vast unknown.
Contrast that thought with a talk I'd heard given earlier on BYU TV about the moral degeneration occurring at an increasingly rapid pace in our society. We are at the point where our own ability to worship as we desire may be in jeopardy because of the new laws which are now being passed. Yet we do not have the luxury of leaving this society behind and sailing off with our brothers and sisters in the gospel to start anew. We, instead, are asked to build zion where we are. I'm of the opinion that this is a much more difficult position to be in. We need to stand strong and bold for what is true and what it right in the midst of opposition.
We can do it, but we need to band together and bear one another up.

1 comment:

Katie said...

That is a really interesting thought mom. (by the way, cute background) I think I am more pleased that California Propositin 8 looks like it will pass than I am disappointed that Obama is going to be president. How much church hype did you guys get about CA Prop 8? It was a huge deal here.